Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Is that a challenge? You don't have to tell me twice!

At the end of August I decided to try and challenge myself to wear only the things I make myself (see below). At the time the weather was hot and after sewing a ton of skirts for the summer I was thinking I could slowly add to my wardrobe as the weather got cooler and cooler and be good to go by winter. But then the weather literally changed overnight and I thought “Oh yea – I live in Minnesota!” So instead of starting the challenge September 1st I thought I would make a few things and maybe try the challenge as a New Years Resolution.


Then today one of my customers (Patty with the cute Flippy Skirt) informed me of “Self-Stitched-September” from So-Zo’s blog. www.sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com By the way, did I also mention that I believe that when things present themselves more than once it is a sign that you should sit up and pay attention because someone bigger than yourself is speaking to you? Well I do. Self-Stitched-September was just too close to MY challenge that I can’t just ignore it.  So, given that September IS National Sewing Month, I am going to go ahead and do this challenge. 

I, Nikol Gianopoulos, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-September. I endeavour to wear at least one handmade or refashioned items of clothing every day for the duration of September 2010.

I hope a few of you will join me in this challenge. I will post pictures of my creations though out September and who knows -once I'm on a roll I may just decided to go a full year! 

---------------------------------------------

My original post/challenge:

I’m not a very competitive person, but I do like to challenge myself … mainly because when I challenge myself it makes me live with intention. Being a single mom and business owner I often feel like I’m living by default - just reacting to all that is going on around me

I was listening to the radio this past weekend and they interviewed three women who decided not to buy any new clothes for one year. They mainly did it because of the economy and the whole realization that they might have too many clothes in their closets. But I also believe they did it because they wanted to see if they could, which sounded right up my alley.

I started to wonder if I could go a year without buying any new clothes. Probably, since I’m not a big clothes shopper to begin with. But then I though…. I wonder if I could go a year wearing only the things I make. Hmmmm??? Maybe…. I did make a lot of skirts this past summer. But I would need some time to ‘build-up’ my wardrobe. You see, I don’t sew as much as I should or ALL that I could. For example; I’ve never sewn a bra (though I know it can be done) and I haven’t sewn many pants (mainly because they are too hard to fit). I’ve never sewn a coat (but it’s on my list), or a pair of gloves (though I recently bought a pattern). And when I do sew it is mainly store samples or things for other people. I know that if I sewed more I would get better at it. Plus, it would force to become more creative which has always been a running goal of mine.

So, starting September 1 the challenge is:

1. Not to buy any new clothes for one year. Exception: I can buy from the thrift store as long as I repurpose the clothing before wearing.

2. Everyday wear at least one item that I have made or repurposed.

3. Make at least one new item of clothing a week. (My real goal here is to sew a little bit everyday)

I also challenge myself to blog about it once a week since I could really use the writing practice for another challenge I have brewing in the back of my mind, but more on that challenge a little later.

Wish me luck – I’ll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of this challenge! It's pretty ambitious and I'm glad to see you made it pretty far in it! Inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete